IUI is useful for many situations. It is commonly suggested as a treatment:
- If a couple has unexplained infertility, that is all the tests cannot identify a cause for their infertility
- If the female partner has mild or moderate endometriosis and has not been able to conceive
- If the male partner has a mild sperm problem or difficulty with sexual function
- If the female partner has a cervical condition leading to infertility
- For a woman who wishes to have a pregnancy with donor sperm
- For same sex couples wishing a pregnancy with donor sperm
- Donor sperm can also be used if the male partner has a condition where there are no sperm being made (azoospermia).