Many patients choose to use donor sperm treatment for a variety of reasons. Sperm donation is often used for:
- Couples where the man has no sperm production (azoospermia)
- Couples where the man would require a surgical procedure to retrieve sperm from the testicles and chooses not to undergo this surgery
- Couples where the sperm levels are extremely low or the quality of the sperm is very low and they are choosing not to undergo IVF with sperm injection (ICSI) or have not achieved a family with IVF-ICSI.
- Couples where the man carries a genetic disorder and chooses not to pass this on to a child
- Single sex couples
- Single women
- Couples where the man has HIV