Trinidad and Tobago, like the rest of the world, is learning to deal with the COVID19 Pandemic. Your health is our number one priority. Here in the clinic we are keeping up to date with the latest national and international advice on all aspects of COVID19. We are here to work with you in the best & safest way towards your dream – helping you take home your healthy baby.
SARS-CoV-2 (the virus causing COVID19) is spread by
- Respiratory droplets from person to person – when a person talks, sneezes or coughs.
- Surface spread. The virus survives on objects and surfaces for 5-7 days, e.g. sole of shoes, computer mouse, handrails, doorknobs, glasses, medical equipment etc. Infection occurs when hands contaminated with the virus touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Fecal-oral spread. The virus has been found in feces but this route of spread is thought to be infrequent.
COVID19 is avoided by
- Practicing social distancing – remaining 6 feet away from other people to avoid respiratory spread
- Good hygiene techniques (hand washing etc.)
- Wearing face masks when not at home – which may reduce some respiratory infections but also is likely to prevent an asymptomatic individual infecting others via respiratory and surface spread
- All three methods of prevention must be practiced in the clinic.
Between a third and a half of people who have COVID19 have no symptoms. This is why it is so important for you to wear a mask and wash your hands as this protects you form getting COVID19. Just as importantly it stops you from spreading it to other people without knowing it.
Trinidad and Tobago IVF and Fertility Centre closed to fertility treatments for non-emergency cases on March 17th 2020. We will open again for full patient testing and treatments from Monday May 18th, as case numbers show low population spread along with a stable healthcare system coping well with the demand for medical treatment. We will close again to treatments should it be required.
Knowing that a COVID19 vaccine is not likely to be available until 2021 at the earliest, we have been reviewing international guidance for best practice in providing safe fertility testing and treatments for both staff and patients. Before you begin your treatment you need to think through the situation now and in the near future. You need to decide what risks you are willing to take. You need to let us know if now is the right time for you to get pregnant. You have other options. You can choose to wait to a time when the COVID19 pandemic is gone. You can choose to freeze eggs/embryos now and try for a pregnancy when the COVID19 pandemic is gone.
To help us keep you and all our staff safe from COVID19, you will notice changes in the clinic.
- All clinic consultations continue remotely via Telehealth
- All sperm testing continues with sample drop-off only (no in-clinic production
- All patients entering the clinic must have a confirmed appointment
- All patients can only attend the clinic alone (sorry no partners allowed entry)
- High level clinic cleaning continues
- All clinic staff will be wearing masks
- All patients entering the clinic must wear a cloth mask & undergo pre-screening
- No patient with COVID19 symptoms can enter the clinic or continue with fertility treatment
Upon arrival at any of the clinics, everyone (including staff) will be screened. This includes taking your temperature, checking on your history of COVID-19 connections, and asking about any COVID-19 symptoms you may be experiencing. We will also ask you to wash your hands once in the office.
We will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments to our plan as needed. We are hopeful during this time as we phase back into a new normal, and as always, we wish you health and safety. Thank you for your ongoing patience and understanding as we navigate the best, safest path forward.